The TR-8 is a performance rhythm machine that melds the legendary sound and vibe of the TR-808 and TR-909 with features and functions for the modern age. Genre-defining sounds, classic effects, unprecedented live pattern manipulation, and solid, intuitive performance controls. It’s the TR…evolved.
Capturing the Originals
- Full reproduction of the classic TR-808 and TR-909 rhythm machines, based on original design spec sheets and detailed analog circuit analysis of many original TR machines, including Roland’s own pristine units
- Newly developed Analog Circuit Behavior (ACB) technology allows part-by-part analyses and faithful recreation of tonality and behavior, including the smooth variations of tone that occur when you work the controls of each instrument
- Obsessive attention to detail, such as reproducing the original TR’s unique variations in tone that occur when multiple instruments are entered in accented steps
- Authentic 16-step sequencer with faithful TR-REC behavior, including A and B pattern variations and the ability to play instruments and record to steps in real time
- 16 stunning kits made up of 11 instrument types, including custom dream kits that use both TR-808 and TR-909 sounds
- Large Tempo knob with Tap Tempo button and continuous Fine and Shuffle adjustment knobs
- Control the intensity of the Accent function with a dedicated knob
- Per-step reverb and delay effects with dedicated knobs
- Mix sources connected to the External In jacks with built-in per-step Side Chain function for rhythmic ducking and gating effects
- Scatter lets you freak and tweak your grooves with real-time control and perfect sync
- 7 segment, 4 character LED display and 16 per-step pads with bold, full-color LEDs
- Real-time pattern creation up to 32 steps with on-the-fly step count adjustment
- Rec/Play modes have been eliminated, enabling seamless switching between step input and real-time pattern making and performance
- Real-time play of 4 different types of rolls (8th, 16th, VARI 1, VARI 2) and per-instrument mutes
- Pattern copy and pattern randomization for rapid, spontaneous creativity
- Two assignable analog outputs and full parallel outputs via USB for total mixing flexibility
Unleashed upon an unsuspecting world in the 1980s, the TR-808 and TR-909 produce arguably the most influential drum sounds in modern music. Not only have they appeared on thousands of dance tracks over the course of three decades, they’ve helped define the sound of entire musical genres. From rap and house to techno and trance, the TR-808 and TR-909 have left an indelible mark on the art and culture of music. Roll the drums…
In developing the TR-8, we’ve obsessively analyzed and faithfully recreated every detail and nuance of the analog circuitry of these legendary rhythm machines—the boom and snap of the 808; the thud of the 909; the robotic click of an 808 rim shot or a classic 909 snare roll. It’s all here. But not content with mere recreations, we’ve enhanced these classic instruments with capabilities that go far beyond the original units.
Tune and Decay knobs are now present on every instrument, and the Bass Drum and Snare Drum have additional controls such as Attack, Snappy, and Comp. This allows for a wide variety of tones, from subtle ambient percussion to pounding dance grooves. Per-step effects and the massively addictive Scatter function take things into entirely new territory.
With the authentic tone and character of the original units and new sound-tweaking capabilities inspired by legions of users, the TR-8 breathes new life into the sounds we all know and love.
Make no mistake—the TR-8 has been carefully designed from the ground up as an instrument to be played. Every control has a solid, predictable feel, with each drum instrument having robust, “playable” faders. Numerous lighted knobs and RGB buttons give both real-time performance feedback and a striking appearance on stage.
Pattern creation is creative and intuitive using an evolved version of the TR-REC method, which originated in the TR-808 and eventually became the standard for electronic rhythm programming. Based on detailed analysis of the original TR-808, the TR-REC behavior has been faithfully modeled in the TR-8. But the TR-8 goes well beyond the original, allowing you to seamlessly switch between programming and performance modes, and to introduce lots of groovy rhythmic variations from subtle snare fills to total glitch meltdowns.
What is Scatter?
Scatter is a unique performance function that gives you detailed real-time control over variations in your patterns and any incoming external input signal.
- Scatter can reverse, glitch, gate, truncate, stutter, and perform all manner of rhythmic variations from subtle to extreme, and all in perfect sync
- Pick from 10 different types of Scatter and smoothly adjust the intensity—or “Scatter Depth”—with the large, comfortable dial
- Seamlessly switch between Scatter patterns and quickly toggle Scatter on/off for cool variations when and where you want them
Try it…you’ll like it!
A Few More Things
The TR-8 looks great and is designed to work seamlessly with other products in the AIRA series. In addition, you can connect the TR-8 to your computer via USB to send and receive both audio and MIDI data, including MIDI clock information for syncing with external devices and other AIRA units.
Audio & Video
With roots in the very origins of electronic music, AIRA is the new series of products designed to meet the evolving needs of today's electronic musicians.
Artists First Contact
Groundbreaking artists talk about their experiences with Roland instruments and make first contact with the AIRA gear.
Analog Circuit Behavior
Go behind the scenes and learn how Roland's newly developed Analog Circuit Behavior (ACB) faithfully captures the sound and feel of some our most revered classics.
Artists Arthur Baker, Ricardo Villalobos, Hardfloor, Netsky, Dr Meaker, A Guy Called Gerald and Boys Noize talk about their experiences with Roland instruments and discuss the joys and challenges of performing electronic music live.
TR-909 Rhythm Composer
Roland engineers discuss the technologies involved in getting the right sounds for the successor to the TR-808. The TR-909 Rhythm Composer evolved from the TR-808, adding digital samples and MIDI. House and Techno were born. Now the next step begins.
TR-808 Rhythm Machine
Roland Engineers discuss the initial concept of the TR-808 which was conceived and built in 1980. Although it was designed to create “backing tracks,” creative musicians started to use the Rhythm Machine as an instrument and music changed forever. Now the evolution begins again.
- User Drum Kits
- User Patterns
- Steps per 1 measure
- 1 – 16 steps x 2 (Variation A/B)
- 40 – 300
- Instruments & Controls
- BASS DRUM: LEVEL, TUNE, ATTACK, COMP, DECAY, INST SELECT
SNARE DRUM: LEVEL, TUNE, SNAPPY, COMP, DECAY, INST SELECT
LOW TOM, MID TOM, HIGH TOM, RIM SHOT, HAND CLAP, CLOSED HIHAT, OPEN HIHAT, CRASH CYMBAL, RIDE CYMBAL: LEVEL, TUNE, DECAY, INST SELECT
- Effects and Controls
- ACCENT: LEVEL, STEP
REVERB: LEVEL, TIME, GATE, STEP
DELAY: LEVEL, TIME, FEEDBACK, STEP
EXTERNAL IN: LEVEL, SIDE CHAIN, STEP
- TR-REC, PATTERN SELECT, INST PLAY, INST REC, DRUM KIT SEL, DRUM INST SEL
- VOLUME knob
MODE buttons: 6
VARIATION buttons: A, B
LAST STEP button
SCATTER ON button
SCATTER DEPTH button
Power Switch (Rear)
- 7 segments, 4 characters (LED)
- REVERB, DELAY, SIDE CHAIN
- Types: 10
- Nominal Input Level
- -10 dBu
- Input Impedance
- 100 k ohms
- Nominal Output Level
- -10/+4 dBu (Selectable)
- Output Impedance
- MIX OUT, ASSIGNABLE OUT: 1 k ohm
PHONES: 130 ohms
- PHONES jack: 1/4-inch stereo phone type
MIX OUT (L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
ASSIGNABLE OUT (A, B) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
EXTERNAL IN (L, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
USB port: USB type B (Audio, MIDI)
DC IN jack
- Audio, MIDI
- Power Supply
- AC adaptor
- Current Draw
- 1,000 mA
- Owner's manual
Leaflet "USING THE UNIT SAFELY"
- Size and Weight
- 400 mm
- 260 mm
- 65 mm
- 1.9 kg
4 lbs. 4 oz.
- * 0 dBu = 0.775 Vrms
Comfortable and lightweight open-air headphones optimized for digital pianos.
Light and comfortable headphones with 40mm drivers and rotating earpieces.
Light and comfortable headphones with 45mm drivers and rotating earpieces.
Open Air Headphones
Professional studio headphones with open air design.
Comfortable and accurate headphones for superior monitoring.
Offer the clarity, sonic accuracy, and comfort needed for mixing and silent practice.
Roland’s top-of-the-line headphones.
RH-5 headphones are perfect for electronic musical instruments such as Roland’s digital pianos and V-Drums.
Attractive in-ear headphones with deeper bass and extended frequency performance.
Comfortable, lightweight, and great sounding stereo headphones.
Updates & Drivers
If you have questions about operating your Roland, BOSS or Cakewalk product, please check our Knowledge Base for answers to the most common questions.
You can also contact our Product Support department by phone or email.