- Advanced music production studio with 61-note keyboard
- Seamless integration of audio and MIDI using ROM waves and sampling with realtime timestretch capability
- All-new Patches and Rhythm Sets built from new 64MB wave ROM
- 32MB sample RAM (expandable up to 288MB) with .WAV/AIFF compatibility
- 16MB flash RAM retains your favorite sounds; optional SmartMedia storage
- New "Skip Back Sampling" for continuous sampling - never lose an idea again!
- Dynamic Pad Bank with 16 velocity-sensitive pads for easy sample triggering
- 3 MFX processors, plus dedicated reverb, chorus and new mastering processor
- Expandable via four optional SRX-Series Wave Expansion Boards
- USB port for .WAV/AIFF file exchange with a PC or Mac
- 4 Line outputs (2 stereo or 4 mono), stereo Line input and 24-bit S/PDIF digital output
Explore entirely new sonic landscapes with a brand-new 64MB-equivalent wave ROM created just for the Fantom-S. Painstakingly sampled in world-class studios around the world, these new stereo-sampled waves are the finest building blocks ever offered in a Roland keyboard. But don't worry; you can start making music right away. Roland has already created an entirely new set of inspiring Patches and Rhythm Sets sure to fit into the music styles of today and tomorrow.
An Audio and MIDI Powerhouse
The idea behind the original Fantom was to keep the music flowing. So for the Fantom-S, a strong emphasis was placed on the way audio and MIDI are integrated. The result is a fluid environment in which both worlds can come together as one. Audio can be sampled using the stereo analog inputs, or imported via USB, and then integrated directly as a waveform in the expressive stereo 4-Tone synth engine. Audio can also be sequenced alongside MIDI data. The Fantom-S will even automatically stretch your samples in real time to match any tempo!
Instead of just adding sampling, Roland carefully thought out ways to make it even more useful in production. To start, the Fantom-S comes with 32MB of sampling memory, expandable to 288MB - more sampling memory than any other workstation and enough space to resample an entire song! The onboard USB port makes it easy to load .WAV/AIFF files, or export your finished song to a computer for CD burning or Internet distribution.
To make triggering samples easier, Roland added a Dynamic Pad Bank. Samples can be easily mapped to the touch-sensitive pads; the pads can even be used to play ROM sounds or RPS patterns. Another Roland innovation is Skip Back Sampling. This function continuously samples your performances so you'll never lose a great idea. It also makes for an easy way to resample any realtime knob and controller tweaks.
A new Mixer View screen gives the Fantom-S the feel of digital mixer - with intuitive graphic editing of a multitimbral Performance in one simple screen. Mix down your song using four knobs and the LCD to change track levels, panning and effects settings. Now audio and MIDI can be mixed together with the feel of a digital recording studio. Roland even makes it easy to set up your Performance using the new Layer View screen with quick graphic editing for layering and key zones. Features like these turn the Fantom-S from a workstation to studio.
Complete Studio Effects and Mastering
The Fantom-S is loaded with a complete set of pro-quality effects to take your song all the way to final mixdown. To start, you get 24-bit reverb on par with rackmount processors and professional plug-ins, plus a dedicated chorus processor that serves up warm, rich chorus and delay. Three multi-effects processors handle everything from tempo-synced delay and Lo-Fi processing to COSM Guitar Amp Modeling, Slicer, Isolator and more. Finally, a dedicated mastering processor lets you add the finishing touch with multi-band compression.
USB for Direct Sample Exchange
With onboard USB, importing samples from a PC or Mac is easier than ever. Just browse your computer's hard drive for .WAV and AIFF files, and import the sounds you want using simple drag-and-drop commands (the Fantom-S will appear on your computer as a hard drive). Now the audio can be used as a synth waveform or even assigned to the Dynamic Pad Bank for sequencing. Likewise, you can also export a fully mastered song to your computer for burning CDs or MP3 creation.
V-LINK Onboard Video Control
With Roland's V-LINK feature, musicians can integrate video clips with their music for a more captivating performance. Using the optional Edirol DV-7PR Digital Video Workstation (sold separately), you can trigger video clips from the Fantom-S' sequencer or Dynamic Pad Bank. Capture your background music using Skip Back Sampling and paste it with the clip onto a single pad. Any audio/visual combination you perform can be recalled so you won't lose ideas. Never before has so much power and flexibility been offered in a workstation keyboard.
- 61 keys (with velocity and channel aftertouch)
- Sound Generator Section
- Max. Polyphony
- 64 (shared with the sampling section)
- Wave Memory
- 64MB (16-bit linear equivalent), Waveforms: 1,228
- Preset Memory
- Patches: [S] 640 + 256 (GM2),Rhythm Sets: 32 + 9 (GM2), Performances: 64
- User Memory
- Patches: 256, Rhythm Sets: 32, Performances: 64
- Card Memory (SmartMedia)
- Patches: 256, Rhythm Sets: 32, Performances: 64
- Sampling Section
- Data Format
- 16-bit linear (File Type: .WAV/AIFF)
- Sampling Frequency
- 44.1kHz (fixed)
- Max. Sampling Time
- [Internal memory (32MB) only] mono: 360 sec. approx., stereo: 180 sec. approx. [with DIMM (288MB)] mono: 54 min. approx., stereo: 27 min. approx.
- Number of Samples
- User memory: 2,000 (maximum total approx. 16MB), Card memory: 7,000 (128MB SmartMedia)
- Sequencer Section
- Phrase tracks (16 MIDI channels per track): 16, Pattern track (16 MIDI channels per track): 1, Tempo track: 1, Beat track: 1
#The Pattern Track can hold up to 100 patterns.
- 480 TPQN
- 5 to 300 bpm
- Song Length
- 9,998 measures
- Recording Method
- Realtime, Step
- Multi-Effects: 3 systems, [S] 77 types/ [S88] 78 types, Chorus: 3 types, Reverb: 5
types, Input Effect: 6 types, Mastering Effect: 3-band Compressor
- Expansion Slot
- SRX expansion boards: 4 slots*, DIMM: 1 slot (supports 128/256MB (3.3 V)) SmartMedia card: 1 slot (supports
- Preset: 128, User: 128
- Rhythm Pattern
- Preset: 256 (32 groups), User: 256 (32 groups)
- Chord Memory
- Preset: 64, User: 64
- 320 x 240 dots, four-shade graphic LCD (QVGA)
- 16 (velocity and aftertouch sensitive)
- Pitch Bend/Modulation Lever, Control Knobs x 4, Assignable Switch x 2, D Beam Controller
- Headphones, A (MIX) Output (L/Mono, R) (1/4” TRS phone type), B Output (L, R) (1/4” phone type), Input (L/Mono (MIC), R) (1/4” phone type), Hold Pedal (Half Pedal possible), Control Pedal
(assignable), MIDI (In, Out, Thru), USB Connector (supports file transfer (mass storage class)), Digital Audio Interface (COAXIAL/OPTICAL OUTPUT only), AC Inlet
- Power Consumption
- 17W (AC
- Sound/Parameter List, Sample Data (Audio) CD, CD-ROM (Editor)
- Wave Expansion Board (SRX Series), Keyboard Stand ([S] KS-12/[S88] KS-17),
Pedal Switch (DP Series), Foot Switch (FS-5U), Expression Pedal (EV-5)
- Size and Weight
- 1,050 mm
- 41-3/8 inches
- 358 mm
- 14-1/8 inches
- 109 mm
- 4-5/16 inches
- 12.5 kg
- 27 lbs. 9 oz.
- *If the maximum DIMM expansion is installed, only two SRX slots will be availble.
- *The specifications are subject to change without notice.
Supreme Dance Exp. Board
Hundreds of drums, synths, and other essential sounds for making professional dance tracks.
Platinum Trax Exp. Board
One of the most comprehensive dance-music expansion boards on the market.
Classic EPs SRX Expansion Board
The finest sound library of coveted EPs and Clavs to bear the Roland logo.
Momentary footswitch for use with keyboards and recording products.
Durable pedals for controlling a wide range of effects parameters.
Tank-tough diecast pedals designed to meet the needs of the most demanding players.
Brochures & Catalogs
Updates & Drivers
If you have questions about operating your Roland, BOSS or Cakewalk product, please check our Knowledge Base for answers to the most common questions.
You can also contact our Product Support department by phone or email.