The DS-8/-7/-5 are Roland’s flagship two-way active digital reference monitors, offering superb sound quality with precise imaging and low coloration. They are ideally suited for critical listening in professional, project and home studios, fixed and mobile broadcast facilities or any other recording environment where professional sound quality and accuracy are essential during playback.
- Superb sound quality with balanced energy output for critical listening.
- Newly designed cabinet with bi-amplified circuit that produces no out of phase characteristics.
- 24-bit digital input with up to 192 kHz sampling rate.
- XLR, coaxial and optical digital inputs that match AES/EBU and S/PDIF format.
- Compact design, with three models to fit a variety of mixing environments.
- Newly designed Heat Sink and front panel Power Switch, fully compatible to new IEC60065 safety standards.
Each of the DS-Series monitors exhibit excellent stereo imaging and a consistent “flat” frequency response in near field listening environments. The 24-bit, up to 192 kHz digital specification produces a smooth response for less chance of ear fatigue during extended critical listening sessions. The result is a rich sound field with a desirable fully spatial characteristic.
There are three DS-Series models, designed to fit into a variety of recording environments, from project to professional studios. The DS-5 is a 45-watt, 5-inch two-way system; the DS-7 is a 60-watt 6.5-inch two-way system; and the DS-8 is a 120-watt, 8-inch two-way system. Each model features XLR inputs for AES/EBU compatibility and digital jacks for integration into digital recording and workstation environments such as Roland’s VS Series Digital Workstations.
Efficient Power with a New Cabinet Design
The DS-Series’ efficient heat sink power amplifier is fully compatible with new IEC60065 safety standards. The power switch is built into the front panel for optimum convenience. A newly designed shielded cabinet helps eliminate interference in TV, radio and other recording environments where speakers are placed in close proximity to video monitors and computer screens.
- 2-Way Bi-Amplified Monitor
- Bass-reflex type
- LF Driver
- 200 mm (8") Polypropylene cone type magnetically shielded
- HF Driver
- 25 mm (1") Soft dome type magnetically shielded
- Frequency Response
- 58 Hz to 24 kHz (+/-3 dB)
- Crossover Frequency
- 2.3 kHz (active fourth order)
- LF Amplifier Power
- 80 W
- HF Amplifier Power
- 40 W
- Analog In
- Input Sensitivity
- 0 dBu (0.775 Vrms)
- Input Impedance
- 20 k ohms (Balanced/Unbalanced)
- Digital In
- Conformity with AES/EBU and IEC60958
- Sample Rate
- 32 kHz to 192 kHz (automatically) (de-emphasis: OFF)
- Word Length
- D/A Converter
- LF TRIM Knob
HF TRIM Knob
INPUT SELECT SW. (Analog In/Digital In)
ASSIGN SW. (Right/L+R/Left)
DIGITAL INPUT SELECT SW (AES/EBU / Optical / Coaxial)
- ANALOG INPUT (XLR / 1/4 inch TRS phone type)
DIGITAL INPUT (XLR)
DIGITAL INPUT (Optical)
DIGITAL INPUT (Coaxial)
DIGITAL THRU OUT (Coaxial)
- Power Supply
- AC 117 V, AC 220V, AC 230 V, AC 240 V (50/60Hz)
- Power Consumption
- 125 W
- Owner's Manual, Power Cord
- Size and Weight
- 254 mm
- 10 inches
- 367 mm
- 14-1/2 inches
- 406 mm
- 16 inches
- 17.2 kg
- 37 lbs. 15 oz.
- *The specifications are subject to change without notice.
Brochures & Catalogs
If you have questions about operating your Roland, BOSS or Cakewalk product, please check our Knowledge Base for answers to the most common questions.
You can also contact our Product Support department by phone or email.