The new M-16DX is a breakthrough all-digital mixer and audio interface, with an unprecedented low price. Unlike analog mixers, the 24-bit/96kHz M-16DX offers powerful features such as high-resolution EQ, scene memories, and EDIROL’s innovative Room Acoustic Control. The M-16DX is a perfect front-end for your favorite Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), allowing you to record a track at a time or a whole band at once. It’s great for live mixing, too, with its compact and convenient two-piece design that allows you to put your connections onstage and your mixer wherever you want.
- 16-channel all-digital mixer with 24-bit/96kHz internal processing
- USB 2.0 audio interface for computer multi-track recording
- All 16 inputs plus stereo main mix available to your DAW as individual audio streams
- Compatible with all major Windows and Mac OS digital audio workstations
- Cakewalk SONAR LE CD-ROM included
- Perfect companion for Apple’s GarageBand
- Easy-to-use operation with familiar analog-style mixer controls, excellent for live mixing
- Convenient 2-piece mixer and I/O module design
- Flexible analog and digital I/O, including four high-quality mic preamps with phantom power
- 3-band sweepable EQ controls with graphic LCD for precise tone shaping
- Scenes for instant recall of mixer settings
- Exclusive Room Acoustic Control automatically tunes speakers for optimal sound
- Built-in pro-quality effects, including COSM® insert effects, reverb effects, and finalize effects
- AC adaptor and connection cable (2 meter, 6 ft.) included
24/96 Full Digital Audio Processing
Ready to upgrade the quality of your mixes? The M-16DX contains a powerful 24-bit/96kHz digital processing engine that provides a transparent mixing foundation. Experience the power of accurate, detailed digital mixing at a price you can afford.
18-in/2-out USB 2.0 Audio Interface
The M-16DX’s USB 2.0 port allows it to work as a multitrack audio interface with a digital audio workstation. You can assign any or all of the M-16DX’s individual mono or stereo channels, and the main stereo mix, to their own recording tracks in your DAW. Imagine recording an entire band at once, with each instrument and vocal on its own track.
Digital and analog connectivity—it’s all here, and more. The M-16DX has high-quality mic preamps with phantom power, Hi-Z switches for guitar and bass, balanced TRS connections, S/PDIF coaxial & optical digital inputs, line inputs for a turntable or CD player, audio from your computer via USB, and an mp3 player mini-jack input. On the output side, the M-16DX offers balanced TRS connections, USB audio to your computer, and coaxial & optical digital outputs. It even offers separate control room and main mix outputs.
Sweepable 3-Band EQ Controls
Each channel strip is equipped with Low-Cut Filter, 3-band EQ, Pan, Aux, Select, Solo/Mute and Level controls. The Midrange EQ has Q & frequency controls for precise tone shaping on each channel. With 24-bit/96kHz internal digital processing, the original audio source can be shaped using the onboard EQ and effects with absolutely no loss in audio quality.
EDIROL Innovation—Room Acoustic Control
In a portable mixing first, the M-16DX features a high-contrast, backlit LCD that lets you to see the effects in operation, as well as a spectrum analysis of your mix! Also onboard is the intelligent Room Acoustic Control function, which automatically analyzes and compensates for the frequency response of your studio. It’s fast, easy and effective.
Don’t let its small footprint deceive you—the M-16DX is a new-generation mixer comprising two modules: the mix controller for your desktop, and the I/O module, which can be mounted in a rack. Together, these two components provide a wide assortment of connection and processing features.
Powerful Built-In FX
A full-featured DSP effects processor is built into the M-16DX, with COSM® insert effects, reverb/echo effects and finalize effects.
- Number of Input Channels
- 16 channels
- AD/DA Conversion
- Sample Rate: 44.1/48.0/96.0 kHz, Signal Processing: 24 bits
- Frequency Response
- 96.0 kHz: 20 Hz to 40 kHz (+3/-3 dB), 48.0 kHz: 20 Hz to 22 kHz (+3/-3 dB), 44.1 kHz: 20 Hz to 20 kHz (+3/-3 dB)
- Residual Noise Level (IHF-A, typ.)
- MAIN MIX LEVEL knob = -∞, Channel LEVEL knobs = -∞, MAIN MIX LEVEL knob = U, Channel LEVEL knobs = -∞: -96 dBu, MAIN MIX LEVEL knob = U, Channel LEVEL knobs = U: -83 dBu
- Nominal Input Level
- MIC connectors 1–4: -60 to -10 dBu, LINE IN jacks 1–4: -40 to +10 dBu, * Maximum input level: Nominal input level + 22 dB, LINE IN jacks 5–16: +0 dBu, LINE IN jacks 15–16 (RCA pin type, Stereo miniature phone type): -10 dBu, * Maximum input level: Nominal input level + 18 dB
- Input Impedance
- MIC connectors 1–4: 1.5 kΩ, LINE IN jacks 1–4: 20 kΩ, LINE IN jacks 5–16: 20 kΩ, LINE IN jacks 15–16 (Stereo miniature phone type): 14 kΩ
- Nominal Output Level
- MAIN OUT jacks/ALT OUT jacks/AUX SEND jacks 1–2: +0 dBu, 2 TRACK OUT jacks L–R: -10 dBu, CONTROL ROOM jacks: -6 dBu, * Maximum output level: Nominal Output Level + 22 dB
- Output Impedance
- MAIN OUT jacks/ALT OUT jacks/AUX SEND jacks 1–2: 600 Ω, 2 TRACK OUT jacks L–R: 1 kΩ
- Recommended Load Impedance
- 10 kΩ or greater
- Graphic LCD 122 x 32 dot (with back-light)
- Connectors (I/O module)
- MIC connectors 1–4: XLR type (balanced / phantom power +48 V), LINE IN jacks 1–14: 1/4 inch TRS phone type (balanced), * LINE IN jacks 1–2: supports use of hi-impedance, LINE IN jacks 15–16: RCA pin type, MAIN OUT jacks L–R: 1/4 inch TRS phone type (balanced), ALT OUT jack L–R: 1/4 inch TRS phone type (balanced), AUX SEND jacks 1–2: 1/4 inch TRS phone type (balanced), 2 TRACK OUT jack L–R: RCA pin type, DIGITAL INPUT jack/connector: Optical type, Coaxial type, DIGITAL OUTPUT jack/connector: Optical type, Coaxial type, USB Connector, DX BUS Connector: D-SUB 15 pin
- Connectors (MIX controller)
- LINE IN jacks 15–16: 1/4 inch phone type (unbalanced), Stereo miniature phone type, PHONES jack: Stereo 1/4 inch phone type, CONTROL ROOM jacks L–R: 1/4 inch phone type (Impedance balanced), DX BUS Connector: D-SUB 15 pin
- DSP processing
- Room Acoustic Control (Built-in Microphone), 16 Band Graphic EQ, Finalize: Enhancer/Multi-band Compressor-Limiter, Insertion effects: Power compressor/Vocal enhancer/Narration enhancer, Echo/Reverb: Short echo/Echo/Room reverb/Small hall reverb/Large hall reverb
- Number of USB Audio Record/Playback Channels
- Record: 18 channels, Playback: 2 channels, Full duplex, * When using the mixer as a USB audio interface, the Finalize effects are not available in 96 kHz mode.
- Power Supply
- DC 9 V (AC adaptor)
- Current Draw
- 1.4 A
- Phantom Power
- +48 V/5 mA (each input)
- Owner’s manual, Read this first/M-16DX driver installation (driver installation manual), Controller cable (D-SUB 15 pin, 2 m), USB cable, Driver CD-ROM, SONAR LE CD-ROM, AC Adaptor, Rack-mount adaptor, Rubber feet (I/O module), Roland software license agreement
- Controller cable: DXC-7 (D-SUB 15 pin, 7 m)
- System requirements [Windows]
- Operating System
- Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional Service Pack 2
Microsoft(R) Windows Vista(TM)
* This does not work with the 64-bit Edition of Windows Vista(TM).
- Windows XP or Windows Vista compatible computer with a USB connector that supports USB Specification Revision 2.0 or higher
* Intel chipset is recommended.
* M-16DX’s USB Audio Interface may not perform to its full specs when used with Celeron or Intel compatible processors.
* When using an added USB 2.0 interface card, such as a PCI card, "NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller" is recommended.
- Pentium 4 Processor / 1.6 GHz r higher, Pentium M Processor / 1.3 GHz or higher
- Memory (RAM)
- 512 MB or more
* In case of Windows Vista, 1 GB RAM or more is recommended.
- System requirements [Macintosh]
- Operating System
- Mac OS X v10.4.3 or later
* The driver can work on both Intel processors and PowerPC processors (Universal Binary).
* This will not operate in the Classic environment of Mac OS X. When using this, the Classic environment must not be running simultaneously.
- Apple Macintosh series computer with on-board USB 2.0
- Size and Weight ( I/O module )
- 280 mm
- 11-1/16 inches
- 219 mm
- 8-5/8 inches
- 44 mm
- 1-3/4 inches
- 1.6 kg
- 3 lbs. 9 oz.
- Size and Weight ( MIX Controller )
- 311 mm
- 12-1/4 inches
- 216 mm
- 8-1/2 inches
- 46 mm
- 1-13/16 inches
- 1.2 kg
- 2 lbs. 11 oz.
- * Please remember that multitrack recording at higher bit rate and sampling frequencies may require large amounts of free disk space and fast hard drives.
* This product has been tested on representative computers that meet the system requirements, but we cannot guarantee that it will operate on every computer that meets these requirements. Please be aware that even under the same conditions, differences in the operating environment may produce differences in processing capability.
- *The specifications are subject to change without notice.
Brochures & Catalogs
Updates & Drivers
If you have questions about operating your Roland or BOSS product, please check our Knowledge Base for answers to the most common questions.
You can also contact our Product Support department by phone or email.